Wednesday, November 27, 2013

DIY Chirstmas Tree - Under $20

Hey guys! As November comes to an end, I thought it would be a good time to set up a Christmas tree. I know some of you may think Christmas in November is crazy but I love the holiday season. Since my fiance is in the military, we wanted to decorate a tree while he was home on leave. We didn't feel like pulling out the giant Christmas tree from the attic, so we went out and bought a tiny 2 foot tall tree. It ended up turning out super cute and cost us less than 20 dollars to make! Now that's a deal! This tree would be great for any apartment, dorm room, or small living area. Also if you don't feel like putting a lot of time and money into a tree, this is a great option. Its fun to make with your family or friends; so grab your loved one and get started :) Here is a picture of the finished product:



Things you will need:
  • The first thing you will need is a 2 foot tree. The bottom of the tree has a stump with burlap wrapped around it. I got this from Old Time Pottery and it was about $4. 
  • Next, you will need little tiny ornaments. I got red, green, and silver balls. I also got some other fun ornaments. These are also from Old Time Pottery and cost me a total of $6.
  • You will need some pipe cleaners, I got silver sparkly ones.
  • Then you will need 2 packs of battery operated lights. I got mine from the dollar tree.
  • You will need some type of star or angel to attach to the top of your tree.
  • Next, you will need a colored cloth napkin for the skirt of your tree.
    1. The first thing I did was wrap the battery operated lights around the tree. I started at the bottom of the tree and worked up. When I ran out of the first set of lights, I got the second pack and started where I left off. Try to camouflage the battery packs in the tree.
    2. Next, take the pipe cleaner and twist one of the ends together with another pipe cleaner. You want to make a really long line of pipe cleaners. This is going to serve as the garland for your tree. Then wrap it around the entire tree. 
    3. Take your ornaments and hang them all around the tree. Try not to put two of the same colors by each other. 
    4. Cut two small pieces of pipe cleaner and attach them to the top and bottom of your star or angel. Then wrap the pipe cleaner around a piece of the tree to attach the star. 
    5. Finally, cut a straight line to the center of you napkin. Once you get to the middle, cut a small circle to go around the base of your tree.
    6. Place the napkin around the tree to serve as your tree skirt. This will also cover one of your battery packs.
    Taa-daa now you have the perfect miniature Christmas tree! I hope you guys enjoyed this DIY project.

    Xoxo, Kristin

    Subscribe to my YouTube channel: keepingupwithkristin1
    Add me on Instagram: keepingupwithkristin1

No comments:

Post a Comment