Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sweet Potato Casserole

This time of year is my absolute favorite! I love everything about Thanksgiving and Christmas. Today, I am bringing you one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes! Sweet Potato Casserole, yum :) I haven't met anyone who doesn't love this dish. It is great to serve with all the other fixings at Thanksgiving or to serve as a desert after the dinner.

Since my fiance is in the military, we had an early Thanksgiving dinner earlier this week. And of course, his favorite side dish is the sweet potato casserole. This recipe is pretty simple, and you should have most of the ingredients in sitting around in your kitchen somewhere.

Main Ingredients:
  • 6-8 medium sized sweet potatoes
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/3 stick of butter
  • 1/2 cup of half and half
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Topping:
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1 cup of chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
  • 3/4 stick of butter
  • 1 bag of mini marshmallows
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Boil all of your sweet potatoes, then mash them in a bowl.

Add the main ingredients from the list above and mix.

Then pour this into a greased casserole dish. (I used a 9x13)

In a separate bowl, add the topping ingredients (exclude the marshmallows).

Pour the topping mixture on top of the main sweet potato dish.

Add marshmallows all over the top.*

Bake at 350F for 35-45 minutes.

*If you don't want your marshmallows to be browned, bake the dish for thirty minutes without the marshmallows, then remove the dish, sprinkle with marshmallows, and bake for another ten minutes.

I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as I do!!

Xoxo, Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment